Wildomar Sleep Apnea - Sleep Disorder Treatment
Do you or a member of your family snore while sleeping? Suffering from heavy fatigue caused by a night of interrupted sleep? These may be symptoms of sleep apnea. At our Wildomar dental practice, Velk Family Dentistry provides a comprehensive solution to sleep apnea using dental appliances that help patients finally achieve a full night's rest. In fact, Dr. Velk is one of the few dentists certified to treat sleep apnea in the Wildomar area. We encourage you to watch the video below and contact us if you are experiencing any of these symptoms:
SIGNS OF SLEEP APNEA
Are you unsure of the symptoms of sleep apnea? Although there are a few different kinds of sleep apnea, the most common signs include:
- Dry mouth
- Interruptions in breathing
- Struggling for air during sleep
- Daytime sleepiness
- Loud snoring
These are just a few of the most common indicators of sleep apnea. However, it’s important to remember not every loud snorer has sleep apnea. If you suspect you or a loved one may have the condition, consult with your doctor about your symptoms and treatment options.
WHY TREATMENT IS ESSENTIAL
If left untreated, sleep apnea can seriously disrupt your daily life. In addition, the severe health risks it poses to your breathing should be addressed. Some of the additional complications associated with sleep apnea are:
- Heart problems: Sleep apnea puts a strain on your cardiovascular system because of the sudden drops that occur in your blood oxygen levels during the nighttime. This can increase your risk of high blood pressure and heart attack.
- Interaction with medications: Because those with sleep apnea have breathing problems, it can pose issues when interacting with certain medications or anesthesia. If you must undergo surgery, be sure to communicate your condition to your doctor.
- Daytime sleepiness: Patients with sleep apnea wake repeatedly during the night, making it difficult to experience deep, restful sleep. Therefore, one of the most common symptoms of sleep apnea is excessive tiredness and irritability during the day. This can be dangerous in the workplace or while driving a motor vehicle, so it’s important to be cautious and seek treatment.
- Social problems: When you have sleep apnea, chances are you are also constantly disrupting any partner, family, or roommates who sleep near you.
- Other risk factors: With sleep apnea, you are also at risk for a number of other health conditions, such as Type 2 diabetes, liver issues, and more.
Because of the vast range of long-term risks associated with sleep apnea, it’s important to seek treatment if you suspect you may have the condition. By working alongside professionals to mitigate the impact of sleep apnea on your daily routine, you can reclaim your life.
WHAT TREATMENT OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE?
If you’re ready to begin your journey toward sleep apnea diagnosis and treatment, see a medical or dental professional. After performing some tests, we will have a better idea of how best to assist you. You will have to discuss treatment options with a skilled practitioner, as recommendations vary widely depending on the severity of your case.
These may include lifestyle changes, therapies, or surgeries. One simple solution is an oral appliance, which your dentist can provide you with. This mouthpiece is designed to keep your airway open during sleep and sometimes to bring your lower jaw forward.
Learn More About our Wildomar Sleep Apnea Treatment
Contact us today to learn how to get started on sleep apnea treatment!